Monday, July 26, 2010

End of Session 3....

I realized that I had gone the entire session without posting anything to the blog! The session went so fast I can't believe that it's over... I had a lot of fun with both my groups, as well as with all of the social aspects of the camp. It's always a lot of fun to see how people get to know each other and create friendships throughout the session. The picture above is from Silver Lake where we went swimming a few times.
Musically, I feel like I've grown a lot in the past two weeks. I played a piece called "Shaker Loops" by John Adams, which was an amazing experience. The piece is a minimalist piece for seven string players (three violins, a viola, two cellos, and a bass), and it is extremely difficult to work on. The hard part about a piece like this is that there is no part that is clearly leading- everyone is responsible for keeping the pulse and making all the contrast changes together. This makes counting and keeping track of where you are really difficult. One rehearsal our coach told us after a run of the piece- "if you get lost just keep playing sixteenth notes and eventually it will be over...". But after a week of intense rehearsals, we had an amazing concert this afternoon- there was so much energy and we were all completely in sync with each other.
It has been a crazy session and I will write more very soon- the internet has been in and out, so I wasn't able to upload photos until today...

No comments:

Post a Comment