Monday, February 8, 2010

Lesson in Malmö

Today I got up early- well 9am- to walk to the music building. After standing around waiting for someone to let me in because my key card STILL doesn't work, I got my bass all packed up and started the trip to Malmö. I managed to get on the right train to get to Malmö Central station. I also got many funny looks as I walked through the station with my giant bass strapped to my back as if it were just a little guitar. I must have looked incredibly funny, waddling around trying to avoid slipping on the ice and falling face first to the sidewalk.
Once in Malmö, I got a little turned around with my directions, but was able to get back on track eventually. I arrived at the concert hall (konserthus) half an hour before our scheduled time, but Kjetil was able to meet me there around the time I got there so I didn't have to stand out in the cold for too long.
The lesson was really great, Kjetil seems to have a lot of advice both on solo and orchestral playing. We worked through the first movement of the Vanhal as well as two excerpts. We also talked a lot about orchestral playing and how to prepare for orchestral auditions. I'm excited to get back in the swing of things with a teacher, and later this month I'll be going up to Gothenberg to take a lesson with Charlie DeRamus and hopefully see the Gothenberg Symphony.

No comments:

Post a Comment