Monday, February 22, 2010

Prague, A Night at the Opera!!

I wanted to go see an opera at the Estates Theater, which is the theater where Mozart premiered "Don Giovanni" and conducted many of his other operas. I went to the box office on Sunday morning and I was able to get one of the last tickets available. After I bought my ticket (which only cost $20 for a seat in a box facing the stage in the first balcony) I stuck around to take some pictures.
A statue commemorating the premier of Don Giovanni

I was one of the first people through the doors when they opened for the performance of "The Magic Flute". The pictures are a little blurry because I couldn't use the flash in the hall. The opera house was stunning, it actually took my breath away to stand there looking at the theater and think that Mozart conducted there.


The performance was really great, the set design was very well thought out and original. They used a silk sheet attached to ropes that were changed to make different shapes. The used it to make a monster, a backdrop, a doorway, walls, and any other scenery they needed (the picture below is how they left the stage at intermission- you can get an idea of how the used it).
This is the door to my box! I shared the box with a Czech couple who didn't speak English- we smiled and nodded at each other a lot....


Curtain Call #4
I broke the rules and took one with flash right before I left.

The outside of the Estates Theater right after the opera ended.

1 comment:

  1. Opera!! I love the little boxes that you sit in. Music sounds better when you're sitting in your little red velvet cubby.

    ReplyDelete