Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ireland! Day 1

I got up at 5:30am to walk to the train to the Copenhagen airport. I made it to the airport really early, and the flight was delayed an hour. But I made it to Dublin, and as I got on the bus it started to hail! It was a very short storm, and by the time we left for the city it was sunny and clear. I met my friend Catherine at the bus stop around the corner from her house so I could drop my bag off before going into the city.
We walked into the city and met up with another Apple Hill musician, Evan. Catherine had a rehearsal, so Evan showed me around Dublin for the afternoon. First we walked through Trinity College (the picture above is in the courtyard in the center of campus). He showed me the Book of Kells, which is one of the oldest surviving Bibles, from 800AD. It was amazing to see that the color was still very bright, and the lettering so intricate. One of the other things we walked through is called The Long Room in the Old Library. It has over 200,000 books and is an amazing room to walk through! It smells like old books, has incredibly high roof, and just feels like it contains so much history. One of the things on display is the oldest harp in Ireland, which is really great to see (unfortunately, they don't allow photos of the Book of Kells or the Long Room...).
After visiting Trinity College, we walked to a park in the center of the city called Stephen's Green. It was a really nice garden, and we spent an hour or so sitting and catching up. We went and met up with Catherine and Aoife (violinist from Apple Hill) for coffee. It was great to see them all agian and find out what they've been up to.
Catherine and I got some food at the store for dinner, and I got to meet her roommates when we got back to the house. They have a very musical house- two cellist and two violinists, which is so cool! Catherine and Sarah are both cellists from Apple Hill, and it was so good to see them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment