Sunday, May 23, 2010

Scotland: Day 3

In the morning, Helen and I walked up Aurthur's Seat. From the top, there you can see the whole city. It's such an amazing view, and it was nice to take a hike.

We met up with Dave for lunch on the Royal Mile. We went to a fairly touristy restaurant, and I tried haggis which I liked quite a bit.

Dave and me on the Royal Mile.
Helen and I walked down the Royal Mile tot he palace, where there was a rehearsal for the arrival of some kind of government official the next day. It was so great to see them all marching along to the bagpipes.
That night, we went to what's called a Ceilidh (pronounced kay-lee) which is a traditional Scottish dace. It was so much fun! There was a live band, and everyone danced. It reminded me a lot of contra dancing in New Hampshire, a hot stuffy room with lots of people running around. There was one dance where we did a step called the "basket", where there are two couples and the girls put their arms over the guys shoulders and the guys lift them off the ground and spin in a circle as fast as they can. It was a really fun night, and Helen said that at that point I had experienced pretty much every Scottish thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment