Friday, May 10, 2013

Goodbye to my little car....

So the news about the check engine light was the worst case scenario- meaning they suggested that I replace the transmission, which would have cost me more than the car is worth at this point.... Lucky for me there was one of the mechanics at the Toyota dealership who was willing to buy it from me for parts. After checking with the Toyota used car dealership across the parking lot (and the dealer telling me they were not interested in buying my car for any price) I decided to sell the car to the mechanic and we set about trying to figure out how to get to Chicago in time for Lauren's flight back to LA. 

Lauren had the idea that we rent a car and drive to Chicago, then I could take the train the rest of the way to Rochester. After checking with the rental car companies this seemed to be the most cost efficient option. Through out today (and the whole trip really) Lauren has been really supportive and always helps me stay calm when I start to worry about....well everything! 

One of the benefits of moving via car was that not everything needed to be in suitcases. I have 4 vacuum bags of clothes that I was using as padding for the bass. In order to get ready to leave my car we had to repack everything so that it could potentially be transported on a train or bus. I bought two giant suitcases and packed everything that was loose and we tried to consolidate anything we could. It was quite a sight- all the car doors open in the "Super Target" parking lot (for those that have never seen one, a Super Target is like 5 regular targets and a Walmart put together...), with suitcases, pillows, clothes, and my bass all strewn about around it. We got some great looks. There was a really sweet couple with a baby that stopped to ask if everything was okay and if there was anything they could do for us... I guess it was obvious we were having a little bit of a rough day. 

Now we're just waiting for the mechanic to get off work so we can sell him the car, and then we'll take a cab to the airport to pick up our rental car. Hopefully it won't be too long until we're back on the road!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment