Sunday, May 12, 2013

Update- the long road to Chicago

When we last left our heros, they were sitting in the Toyota dealership in Tulsa, OK waiting for the sketchy mechanic to come buy the car.....


Long story short, the guy bailed on us... We tried calling him and sending him repeated texts, but no answer. At this point I was starting to worry because the rest of our plans hinged on getting rid of the car. We went back to the used dealership and asked of they knew of anyone who might want to buy even for parts or something... The guy there told us to try Carmax which was right down the street- why he didn't tell us this the first time I asked him hours before is anyones guess.

After all the trouble we had encountered up to this point, the representative at Carmax who helped us was a breath of fresh air- we had been hearing "well I really don't know..." from most people all day, but when I told him I really needed to sell my car, he replied "well we really want to buy it!". It turned out that he was telling the truth- he went out of his way to explain our situation to his manager so that we could work something out (the title is in my dad's name so there were some issues...). We eventually sorted everything out and caught a cab to the airport to pick up our rental car.

I think the rental guy could tell I was at the end of my rope because he gave me a big discount and upgraded us for free. The car we got was a Ford Edge and I'm not sure whether I liked it so much because it's a nice car, or because it was simply a car and we were on the road again. Either way, we were back on our way.... we drove all night, stopping a few times for food and naps.

We arrived in Chicago around 9:45 am, giving Lauren  roughly six hours before she needed to be back at the airport. I wanted her to be able to at least see some of the city, so we rushed to make the architecture boat tour. We made it just in time, the tour went down the three branches of the Chicago river and the docent explained all the different types of architecture used in the city. Lauren took tons of pictures (this is true of the whole trip- I'm sure she will post them soon) and we had a great time. After having lunch we walked around Millennium Park and got to take some pictures with the Bean.

At this point I have to admit that sometimes I tend to run a little late.... this may have been one of those times. I did not anticipate there being traffic (like 2mph, bumper-to-bumper traffic) on a Saturday night going OUT of the city. Needless to say, we were running late to catch Lauren's flight home... I got her to the terminal at 5:40pm for a 6pm flight. Luckily she make the flight!

Exhausted, I got gas for the rental car and returned it before taking the train back to my friend's apartment where I'm staying. When I got there, I planned on sleeping for a little while and then getting a late dinner. I woke up this morning having slept through my alarm and all night. I'm so grateful for all the people here in Chicago who have helped us by putting me and all my stuff up for a few nights.

We had a crazy trip... to say the least! Now that I have a couple days before I take a train to Rochester, I plan on relaxing and trying to prepare myself for the next crazy part- actually starting school again!


No comments:

Post a Comment