Thursday, January 14, 2010

New Bike!!

Another view from my dorm room.


This evening I bought a used bike!

Biking through the city is great, you get to zoom around and take all the little side streets that are too small for cars. While I like walking around, biking will be so much faster! My 20min walk tunrs into a 5min bike ride. My bike has lights (front and back to comply with local bike laws), reflectors, and a bell (yes, the bell is also required by law, which I think is funny).

So here are a few things that I found today in my wandering:

In Lund I have seen two 7-elevens (only two streets apart), a Burger King, and a McDonalds. BUT- since I got off the plane in Copenhagen I have not seen a single Starbucks, which makes me unbelievably happy! There are just a lot of small independent coffee shops- so awesome! Yesterday, I had lunch at a small coffee shop across the street from the main building on campus. I had a grilled foccacia sandwich with turkey, cheese, dijon mustard, and cream cheese. It was really good... partly because it was extremely cold outside and it was nice just to be inside having a hot meal and cup of coffee. Every sandwich I've had here, not that I've had that many, has had cream cheese on it no matter what the other toppings are. I also tried out the little diner right next to my building where you can get a large pizza with a drink for SEK 60 ($8). They also have pita sandwiches and hamburgers, but I'll try those out some other time. The pizza was pretty good, thin crust, lots of grease. I still have over half of it left for dinner!

I also saw a version of the comic book "Calvin and Hobbes" in Swedish: "Kalle och Hobbe ". I just thought it was interesting. I randomly walked into a book store because I was really cold and I wanted to warm up. I discovered that this bookstore sold only Swedish books (duh, right? I'm in Sweden, not sure why I thought books would be in English...). There were also Swedish versions of all the crime novels I read. And for Stephen: I saw a Swedish scrabble game called "Alfapet" and considered getting it... but then I thought about it and realized that neither of us speak Swedish...

1 comment: